A lot of people, especially African American women, are bothered by dark skin in the pubic area. The pubic or bikini area is that place between the inner thighs that may be seen when a woman wears a bikini, and although it may cause some embarrassment, you need not worry too much about it because it is normal. This is also true for other areas of the body which may appear darker than other parts, like the underarms.
Darkening of the pubic area may occur due to different factors, of which genetic factors play an important role. Some people are more likely to develop pigmentation in these areas than others. Other factors including overexposure to the sun, skin disease, regular shaving and constant friction between the thighs among overweight individuals are common. Sweating and accumulation of dead skin in the bikini area can occur, thereby increasing the discoloration in this place.
Ways to Whiten the Dark Pubic Area
There are natural ways to whiten the skin in the area between the thighs using common ingredients found at home:
- Lemon juice - Lemons have natural bleaching characteristics, and it can be rubbed directly on the skin, avoiding the sensitive areas. It can also be mixed with other ingredients like honey, milk powder and almond oil to form a concoction to brighten the skin.
- Cucumber juice - You can also use cucumber juice or slices of cucumber to apply directly to the affected areas. It helps whiten, soothe irritations and tighten skin.
- Turmeric powder - You can add turmeric powder to cucumber juice or lime juice to bleach dark skin.
- Yogurt and Gram Flour - Make a mixture of yogurt, gram flour, turmeric and milk and apply on the dark areas.
- Orange peel - Collect some dried orange peelings and grind them. Mix with lemon juice to make a paste that will lighten the skin.
- Almonds - Soak a few pieces of these nuts in warm water overnight and grind them in the morning until they turn into paste. Mix with a little milk and apply them at night, leaving this on until the morning. Do this for 2 weeks.
- Mint leaves - Emulsify the leaves and mix with an unscented skin cream, then apply on the dark area.
- Lime juice - Make a flour paste with milk and lime juice and spread it on the areas you want to whiten.
- Tomato juice - Mix tomato juice with oatmeal or use grated tomatoes with lime juice to lighten dark areas.
You may also try commercial products which contain natural lightening ingredients such as:
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- L-glutathione soap
- Papaya soap
- Bleaching cream plus baby (mineral) oil
To prevent darkening or to reduce pigmentation, you can also try these preventive measures:
- Wear loose fitting, cotton underwear. Cotton prevents excess sweating since it does not absorb much heat.
- Avoid shaving the pubic area or using hair-removal lotions. Shaving damages the skin, causing scarring and darkening of the area. Hair-removal lotions have chemicals that can damage sensitive skin. Waxing to remove hair offers a better alternative and will not lead to discoloration.
- Use an unscented, non-acidic, mild soap for cleaning the area between the thighs.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes a variety of fruits and vegetables, wholegrain cereals, and lean meat. Avoid fatty foods to maintain good skin.
- Drink lots of water which can flush out toxins and keep the skin smooth and hydrated.
- Use sunblock with at least SPF 30 to prevent exposed skin from darkening.
These skin lightening measures may take more than a few days to work, so be patient and don't worry about it. They will not guarantee complete whitening, because other factors like genetics and constant friction may be present, but these will help improve your appearance. If skin reactions or sensitivity occur, discontinue the treatment. You may also want to consult a dermatologist if skin discolorations are present or other symptoms occur.