Creatinine is a metabolic waste product produced in the muscles, which is eliminated by kidneys. Higher levels of creatinine indicate the dysfunction of kidney. Creatinine level can be elevated by dehydration, usage of certain medicines, chronic illness and excessive blood loss. The normal range of Creatinine in blood for males is 0.6 to 1.2 mg/dl and for females, 0.5 to 1.1 mg/dl. If your creatinine level is increased, how to lower creatinine level in blood?
How to Lower Creatinine Naturally
Since there is a close relationship between creatinine and kidney filtration along with creatine, the natural remedies can be really helpful. Some scientific diet modifications along with lifestyle changes and medical therapies acting in a natural way should be your choices.
1. Adjust Your Diet
- Try to reduce the use of Sodium: Excess of sodium (Na) causes fluid retention, and also increases the blood pressure. Both of these cause increase in creatinine as well. Your daily Na intake should be 2-3 grams. Thus, be sure to reduce the usage of Na by maintaining low Na diet and avoiding salty foods and drinks.
- Check your protein intake: Try to avoid red meat and dairy products because these are the most common dietary sources of creatinine. Proteins of plant sources like nuts and legumes can be wisely used.
- Try to avoid foods rich in phosphorus: Kidneys are unable to process the phosphorus rich foods in those having high creatinine level, so it is advised to lower the usage of phosphorus rich foods if you want to know "How to lower creatinine" naturally. Avoid foods like pumpkins, squash, fish, shellfish, cheese, pork, nuts, fat dairy products and soybeans.
- Limit the potassium intake: If you are suffering from any kidney problem, like in case of the high creatinine levels, you should avoid the foods rich in potassium because it can accumulate in body due to inability of kidney to process it. Avoid the foods rich in potassium like dried fruits, spinach, beans, potatoes, bananas and peas.
- Don’t use creatine supplements: As creatinine is the waste product of creatine, so the usage of creatine supplements by a person having higher Creatinine level will affect one a lot. However, athletes use creatine supplements for better performance. But for an athlete having high Creatinine level, the creatine supplements should be cut out.
You can get more tips on foods for kidney failure from the video below:
2. Try Some Herbs
- The chamomile tea: A research published in Journal of Agriculture Food Chemicals found that the use of chamomile tea can reduce the creatinine level. To make it, put 2 or 3 teaspoons of chamomile flowers in hot water and let it steep for 5 minutes. Drink it daily.
- Stinging nettle: Stinging nettle has the diuretic properties, which assist in removing the metabolic waste products and promote renal excretion. So this is also a good try when you need to find out how to lower creatinine. You can make stinging nettle tea by adding 2 to 4 tablespoons of nettle leaves to the cup of hot water. Let it steep for almost 10 minutes. Drink it daily once or twice.
- The roots of dandelion: Dandelion roots also act as diuretic and help in removing the waste toxins of body. Thus, it also helps lower the creatinine levels. To make the teas, put 1 tablespoon of dried roots of dandelion in a cup of hot water. Allow it to steep for almost 10 minutes. Drink it daily.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has diuretic properties, and helps in the removal of metabolic toxins, and promotes renal filtration ability. It also helps in regulation of glucose level. You can incorporate cinnamon in your daily diet by adding it to warm beverages, baked goods, cereals, smoothies and other foods. But remember, don’t take it in excess.
- Siberian ginseng: Siberian ginseng contains eleutheroside compounds, which are health supplements for boosting energy levels. It reactivates the kidneys and helps in removal of excess creatinine by increasing renal circulation. The recommended dosage of this herb is 300 to 600 mg per day. Consult your doctor for accurate dosage calculation. What’s more, it can be taken along with cinnamon.
3. Make Lifestyle Changes
- Increase your fluid intake: Creatinine level can be increased by the dehydration. When there will be less fluid present in the body, there will be less production of urine, creating a difficulty in the removal of creatinine from the body. So, stay hydrated in order for normal level while too much fluid intake can also harm. As an average estimation, a normal healthy person should take 6 to 8 glasses (each glass of 250 ml) of water every day.
- Lower down your strenuous activity level: The food is converted into energy (ATP) more rapidly when you are doing strenuous activity. In this way, more creatinine is produced as metabolic waste product. So, reducing your activities is also a good measure if you want to know how to lower creatinine. But exercises are good for the regulation of normal health and try to do light exercises. Instead of playing basketball or running, try practicing yoga or slow jogging.
- Have enough sleep: During the sleep, most of the functions of body decrease and the conversion of creatine into the creatinine are also decreased. This helps the kidneys in removing the already present creatinine first from the body, while new one is not being formed during the rest. So, try to set six to nine hours of sleep.